Buy Silver Tampa

At Tampa Gun and Pawn, we pay cash for silver.

Before you sell your silver, it's important to know what you've got. The spot price for silver is for pure silver. Most jewelry is not made of pure silver; it is made of sterling silver.
Silver items normally contain what is called a “Hallmark” or “Benchmark” on the material such as “SS” or “999”. This designates the purity level and will also sometimes include the Silversmith’s insignia.

Pure Silver [ .999 | .9999 | 999/1000 ]

Pure silver, less common than Sterling Silver, is designated by the symbols above. Pure silver is nearly 100% silver, however, due to the fact that it’s nearly impossible to smelt silver without a trace of impurity, Pure Silver or “.999” is the industry standard and simply means that the material is 99.9% pure or in some cases, as with Silver bars and coins, you will see “.9999” which means 99.99% pure silver.

Sterling Silver [ .925 | 92.5 | 925/1000 | SS | Sterling Silver | Sterling ]

Sterling silver is commonly found in many household items, antiques, coins, family heirlooms and jewelry. There are many symbols for Sterling Silver, hundred more than are listed above, but all of them mean the material is comprised of 92.5% silver. Many of these symbols date back to the 1600’s when Silversmiths from different villages in the United Kingdom and Ireland created unique insignias, which they stamped on their silver, goods for use in trading, and to establish quality level. Symbols range from Crowns and Flags to Lions looking a certain way! Tampa Gun and Pawn buys all silver items and if you are not sure if your symbol means silver, don’t worry about it, just bring it in and let our experts make the determination.

Silver purity: Sterling silver jewelry is 92.5% silver, hence the .925 imprinted on some jewelry. The remaining 7.5% will usually be copper.

Coin silver: Coin silver is what most U.S. currency is made from. Some silver jewelry will also be stamped coin silver or .900. This is 90% silver and 10% some other metal.

Spot prices are for pure silver. Silver jewelry sold by weight is only worth a percentage of the silver spot price.

Why It’s Time to Sell Your Unwanted Silver and Gold Jewelry

So you’ve been thinking about selling some of your old silver and gold jewelry. You know, your Aunt Ida’s vintage silver locket, a gold pendant that was a gift from an ex-boyfriend—maybe even an engagement ring you no longer have the desire (or need) to hang on to.

So why haven’t you yet? There are various reasons why people don’t part with their old or unwanted silver and gold jewelry:

  • Sentimentality: You can’t put a price on emotional attachment
  • Laziness: You just haven’t gotten around to it yet
  • Uncertainty: You don’t know how to sell your jewelry or where to go


On the flip side of the coin, there are some good reasons to sell right now. For one, silver is in great demand. A recent study by the Silver Promotion Service, showed that 70 percent of the consumers polled prefer to accessorize with silver jewelry more than gold jewelry because silver is more affordable than gold.

More compelling are the current prices of gold and silver. The past year has seen investors flocking to precious metals to hedge against inflation worries and economic instability. Because of this, many people are realizing that their jewelry must be worth more than ever and are cashing in to help pay their bills. Even a recent New York Times article published in May reported on the new trend of people selling their silver and gold jewelry at pawn shops around the county.